Add DoomBuggies' FREE 13-Hour Grandfather Clock to your myspace or blog!


Sunday, August 26, 2007

WED's-eye-view of the Haunted Mansion, April '69

In April of 1969, WED public relations manager Frank Allnutt wrote this information sheet describing the Haunted Mansion experience. Since it was written four months before the attraction would open to the public, the piece was intended as an internal document at the time, but today it offers an interesting look at some subtle intentions of the Imagineers before the attraction was finalized (i.e., using the Raven as a "foil" to the Ghost Host character.) Also interesting to note is how many of the passages Allnutt wrote were used word-for-word on the official "Story and Song from the Haunted Mansion" album, which was recorded at the end of May.









RIP.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for this! Very cool. Somewhere I still have my record purchased at Disneyland in '73. On one side it has some silly Donald Duck story, but the backside is the storyline behind the original ride as a couple's car breaks down and they enter the mansion and go through the ride. It's great to go through and listen to it to see just how much has changed over the years.

11:45 AM  
Blogger Matt Benzing said...

Thanks for this. I rode the haunted mansion in 69 when I was 4...I still remember the person hanging from the rafters, the portrait hall (especially the portait of the cute little girl with the umbrella that scrolls down to show that hungry alligators are about to eat her), the rattling doors, and the dancing ghosts. The only thing that affected me more was the Adventure in Inner Space...I really believed that I had been shrunk!

7:57 AM  
Blogger Cindy Garber Iverson said...

For my husband and I (my husband being a HUGE Haunted Mansion fan), this document is wonderful! It shed light on things that after riding this ride probably 100 times, we still had not understood. Thank you for posting and sharing. Cindy at Rosehaven Cottage

12:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home